Monday, January 24, 2011

2 million minutes, and the education of the future...

Lets face it, once you hit your mid twenties and you here "The future" ,

They don't mean you anymore.

Since my days as a kid, I am glad no one wrangles over teaching me, or the money it costs to teach me, or whats wrong with me. The Great Recession has reeked havoc on US schools today, and we are scrambling to make things right.

From The BBC:
China's economic might leaves mark on American psyche

Which gets me thinking, how often do YOU keep up with educational attainment in other countries? Or for other children? These kids will reach their pre-professional years ( college) in the next 5-10 years. After that, they will be off to compete on the job market with their newer skills. How do we keep up?

By watching them!

I have been fascinated with education quality for years now. Think about it, We don't need to be in school all day to learn what they learn. We just need to update our skills.

For Instance, Computer Programming!

The US Military is now seeking recruits with "computer literacy"
Why Johnny Can't Program: A New Medium Requires A New Literacy
Mind you, not experts to do complicated work. Just BASIC computer literacy. There are strong argument on that post against learning programming, because many jobs in the USA are being off shored to Asia. STILL- Much of this is as basic as reading writing and arithmetic.

Now I have to learn "computer"!? What happened to Spanish and French? Can anyone recommend a book!?


Sigh,

Meranda Fallen.

No comments: