Friday, September 17, 2010

Friends Go AWAY

Watching friends grow up is fun, but it is hard when you can't enjoy it with them.
Well, I never watched them "grow up", I merely peered into a portion of their lives available on Facebook.


I suppose the worst part of not graduating on time , is watching all my friends get to do the kinds of things I wish I could. To be done with school, and finally move on in my relationships with friends and family.


Missing birthday parties, missing road trips , missing the hours of dress up before a night out on the town is not my idea of a good friend. Never being invited to a wedding, knowing darn well I will probably never get to be a bridesmaid to any of the people I once called "friends" is worrying. Wondering if I will ever get to feel like an adult makes me....


I often wonder how my friends afford it, perhaps by going into debt or turning to the Bank of "Parents" for cash. I do not think many of my friends work. Erica is finally getting serious about the boyfriend, Elsy Tee bought a new car, Tammy is an Engineer who likes to kayak in her spare time and three of my friends just changed their last names on Facebook.


I have vivid memories of our time on campus . I watched friendship flourish. A few lasted past college.

Talking with Laurita, an acquaintance who still keeps up with me, I realized you are lucky if you take from college just one good friend. Everyone else goes their separate ways. I asked her, how do we manage the changes in our relationships as we get older? Her advice was make time to see each other at least a few times a year, and play phone tag. What a good idea! I am already getting back to a few of my friends to plan a meet up on thanksgiving break, losing a few pounds and hopefully finding a job so the cost of seeing people I miss so much is defrayed and we can hang out.



I know my Facebook profile is heavily biased. Everyone is about my age and most of my friends have more wealth and personal freedom than I do. My impoverished butt CANNOT with that. I hope one day I can....that's why I work so hard now, for a better tomorrow.

How do you keep up with your loves?

Regards,
Meranda Fallen

1 comment:

afrocentricseed said...

I totallly understand. I am going to graduate "late" as well. Well, I never considered it late. I just allways knew it was going to take me a year or two longer to gradaute. I am not proud of it but I need to get it done. My friends are all ready in to their fields...in china, france...or atleast one foot into the door, if anything. I feel like I'm slacking.