Friday, September 10, 2010

When the Past Comes to Haunt Me

I sat outside on a bench at Woof Uni Branch Campus, minding my own business when an old friend stopped by.

I have not seen Gwendoline since I was in middle school.

Said she came by to pick up something....the school lost a laptop and now wants to offer her identity protection at no cost for two years.

We chatted, detailing things like college drop outs, unwanted pregnancies, and missed opportunities.

I smiled, and thought, could I open up to her about my blog?

Her story is even more realistic than mine. Transferred to over three different schools in two states. More than 30K in student debt. Should have graduated a year ago. Had a baby. Only now getting her life back together.

She asked me about Shauna, an old nemesis from Middle school. I told her Shauna was in Med School at Woof University Research Hospital, perhaps on a scholarship or two. Still fat as ever, a little taller though.

Gwendoline told me about Veronica, a girl who seemed to quietly despise me, now an RN working at a local hospital. Flaunting new found wealth in volunteering to help a poorer family member pay for a wedding. She graduated from Woof University about a year ago.

I saw the hurt in Gwendoline's eyes. All I could do is encourage her, and give vague details about my own reasons for still being a student at Woof University. I'm a two time drop out, went to the same middle school as Shauna and Veronica,but could not handle being on my own.

I don't know what happened. We were all smart, talented and resourceful ppl. We all had nearly the same backgrounds, schools even. We all went our separate ways, some landing on our heads.

One thing is for sure, the successful ones had there @#$% together from the get-go. Now that Gwendoline and I have finally found our purpose, though worn out and teary eyed, we are on our way to better things.

Hopefully.....

No comments: