Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Getting your feelings Hurt...

There is a tendency in Academia and public opinion to believe students who flunk out or who are "non -traditional" are :

Onerous
Stupid
Lazy
Undeserving
Worthless.
Undisciplined.

I have encountered a repetitive joke, whenever I would ask for help on where I could go, about jobs at McDonald's. How original, ppl with no degree's get work at MCDONALD'S!? I would believe my life was over, that I was not or never would be college material. Advises simply did not know what to do with me, and gave me the standard run around. Retake this class, Go to community college, Go to work, Just take a break. Seldom do I recall a college advisor having a sit down with me to ask what I want and what I dream of. I've had Advisers chuckle when I told them what I wanted to do ( business and later Pharmacy). I knew then that I would have to stay quiet about my dreams, work hard to advise myself, and find anyone willing to help and not judge . I have found a handful to ppl like this, and I continue to build up my support team. I suggest you do that as well. If your advisor does not seem to know what to say or do with you, find someone who can help!

Even today, doing what I do to create a space for ppl who had high hopes and dashed dreams, I still hear the whisper "Your NEVER gonna make your dreams come true, your GPA is too low and NO ONE will take you seriously".

yes, it is true that competition today is fierce, and that many opportunities for ppl who had it rough before may have dried up.

But for most college drop outs, the truth is there ARE no other viable options but to go to school and finish.

So when your advisor laughs at you, when random online posters tell you that McDonald's is hiring, when you cry and ask yourself why you keep doing this to yourself, realize

There is no where else to go but UP !!! When you get to that point you will know. I study with an "F*** YOU" attitude towards anyone who tells me I am worthless.


I hope this blog has been a help and hand holder for you!!

Peace,
Meranda Fallen

No comments: