Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Elsy Tee

I am traveling around Woof Uni's branch campus, checking out posters, news and papers on campus. I come across Woof Uni's seasonal magazine. Mildly interested, I decide to pick it up and put it in my bag. I'm in a rush, and I need to catch the bus before I am stuck having to walk on hour back home. At the bus stop, I check the magazine and what do I see? Lets call her Elsy Tee . They did a profile of this kid, apparently she is one of Woof's shining jewels.
She:

Had a near 4.0 GPA
Received an outside scholarship in relation to her studies.
Did THREE paid internship at one corporation, which extended her a job where she now works.
Was a member of two honor societies and Woof Uni's Honors Program
Did research under a professor while at school
Won a prestigious state award.

In other words, Elsy was probably in the upper 5% of students at Woof. No wonder she studied SOOOO much when I met her. Of course she landed a job, she was among the best. Teachers dream of her, school want her around, employers want the young brilliance they can claim to mold. All that work in College was a wonderful investment that paid off. Notice how, unlike most college students who end up in terrible debt, she was going to school virtually free ( I don't know how large that scholarship was) and getting money ON TOP OF being in school ( through internships).

If you clicked on the link, you know I have a quiet fascination with Elsy. I used to know her in college, and never knew she had it going on like this until after her graduation. I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had done the same things as her.

No comments: