Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Are you better off Now, after all that college?

What would you do if you found out you would be no better off after college than if you had never gone?


As a Drop out turned full-time student, this is what I wake up to . I still have an opportunity to change the course of things, perhaps move out by the time I graduate from school, but I am in shock at how I ended up here after three years of college already.

Many students who have already graduated feel this pain everyday. Some graduates have been asking what to do now if they didn't have internships, a 3.5 GPA and great recommendations from professors . They are at home, sitting.

Some Teens I know are getting ready for college. I want to take them aside so badly and say "Don't end up like me. I know everyone tells you how good I am like they know me, but I FUCKED UP". I want to have long conversations on the phone about school and life and lay into them that indecision is more risky the older you get. College is only four years, if you do it right you may not have to go back to school if you don't want to. Plan for life AFTER college and you can have all the fun you want later. Plus, money. Make good use of whatever major you choose, but choose wisely. It is hard to rebound. Be ultra competitive academically and get in touch with the leadership of your school. Work with those who will help you. Chose tenured professors over adjuncts to build recommendations and resumes.

But I cant. I'm still embarrassed about sitting at home, plus going to college a year after I was suppose to graduate. Maybe that's you too? Have you thought about or do you know someone who is NOT living life after college? What did you do, or what are you doing now? What advice would you give to teens?

What to do , what to do?

Meranda Fallen

1 comment:

afrocentricseed said...

I am on the same path. I am a junior/senior. I go to a liberal arts university, was academically dismissed, attended a community college for a semester; and stil not doing any better. I have reevaluated and I feel like I will be doing better come the semester I come back to my school (hoping they will take me in). My revalution kicked in to late, though. I have switched my major a couple times myself. From biology, to biopsych, to now (my own individually planned major) Urban Anthropology. Just when I was about to get excited about my new future. I was dismissed. That was like a shoot in the leg. Slowed me down. I am not going to list the reasons as to why I let my self to be dismissed; fail to this point. I feel that is a waiste of time, looking to the past. I know what I did wrong and I will look to my mistakes as lessons. Now, I need to find a way I can convince my Provost to accept me back in; I'm not trying to make my letter of appeal to be a sap-story, but i do have to do some "sucking-up", with composure of course, lol.
After I am done, I definitly see my self, right back home, though. Sad....My work to equal nothing. Just thinking about it frustrates me; then comes loans...
Well let me reep what I sowed...and sulk. But, I know there are ways around this feeling. I will try my best to find an opportunity right after graduation and never stop. Otherwise, I will fall right back to depression, where I started.